MUSIC A LEVEL
Exam board: AQA
QUALIFICATIONS NEEDED TO START THE COURSE
General qualifications for your chosen pathway (see What to study/LaSWAP pathways)
* 6 or above in music GCSE and/or Grade 5 Theory.
* Grade 5 (or equivalent) on at least one instrument/voice.
- * Pass a performance audition in the first couple of weeks of September with LSU music staff. Further details about requirements are available on the summer assignment.
YEAR 12 COURSE SPECIFICATION
* Learn how to analyse music using music-specific terminology. This will be achieved through studying set work re pertoire, but also through applying vocabulary and skills to unheard pieces along with a score.
* Complete one composition which is worth 12.5% of your course.
* Perform in a variety of settings, including at external concerts, both as part of a group and solo.
YEAR 13 COURSE SPECIFICATION
* Continue to develop your analysis skills leading up to the written examination. Move on to university-level analysis of music in different styles.
* Complete your second composition which will be to a brief set by the examination board.
* Continue to perform in a variety of settings leading up to your final performance which will count towards your A level.
LEARNING AND SKILLS
The skills and understanding of this course build upon those of GCSE music. The overall aim is to make musical connections between performing, composing and listening activities.
* Appraising music: studying how music works by analysing technical details and cultural context. We will focus on a range of classical, jazz and other twentieth-century styles developing aural and written analytical techniques. An interest in classical music is essential for this component of the course.
* Performing: solo and ensemble performing in a variety of classical and jazz styles through weekly rehearsals and coaching sessions.
* Composing: learning how to handle baroque, classical and jazz harmonies, developing your own compositional style through specific projects designed to introduce you to new ideas and techniques (including workshops with professional composers).
EXAMINATION AND ASSESSMENT
All assessments are in year 13
|Unit title||Type of Assessment||Duration||Weighting|
|Component 1 Appraising Music||Written examination||2 hours 30 minutes||40%|
|Component 2 Performance||Recital||10 minutes||35%|
|Component 3 Composition||2 compositions, including programme note and accompanying essay or score||2 hours 30 minutes||25%|
Many of our A level students go on to study music at university either on its own or as part of a joint honours degree.
The arts are a major British export and careers are many and varied for those who have studied A level music. These include, but are not limited to: Careers in Composition
Arranger, producer, orchestrator, composer, film scorer/composer, jingle writer, songwriter, transcriber, copyist, conductor Careers in Electronic Production and Design
MIDI technician, programmer, performing synthesist, music sequencer, sound designer Careers in Film Scoring
Film composer, music editor, music supervisor/director, film arranger/adapter, film conductor, film music orchestrator, synthesis specialist, theme specialist Careers in Music Business/Management
Advertising executive, booking agent, business manager, field merchandiser, music publisher Careers in Music Education
Choir director, college/conservatory/university music educator, elementary school music teacher, music supervisor, private instructor, secondary school music teacher Careers in Music Production and Engineering
MIDI engineering, music director, producer, program director, recording engineer, studio director or manager Careers in Music Therapy
Music therapist, creative arts therapist, health care delivery professional Careers in Performance
Vocal/instrumental soloist, session musician, general business musician, performing artist, orchestra/group member, background vocalist, floor show band Careers in Songwriting
Composer, jingle writer, lyricist, producer/songwriter, singer/performing songwriter, staff or freelance songwriter